Wednesday, January 3, 2018

5. How Far Do You Go?

  So, you've decided to take up the challenge and write your memoirs, because you think you have something to say.
    Okay, that was the easy part. 
    As you start writing about things that happened to you, however, you discover that if you write about this or that, and tell it like it truly was, you're inevitably going to come to grief. You're going to hurt someone's feelings. 
    Do you admit that things weren't always rosy? Do you mention something unpleasant about a relative who is held in high regard by the rest of the family?  Do you ruin somebody's reputation?  Willfully? Do you admit to your own mistakes, and express your (now) heartfelt regrets? 
   How far do you go?  As I started clearing my mind of unhappy events, unfortunate decisions, serious mistakes, questionable relationships, I realized I was sitting on a bombshell if I were to publish those articles.
    I was surprised when talking to other memoirists that we all have faced this dilemma.  
   But the book should not substitute for the psychologist's Barcalounger with the nearby Kleenex box. So, how far do you go?
   Why waste your time trying to convince everyone that you led the perfect life, the golden life, the supremely happy life, if in reality you contemplated suicide a couple of times?   How far do you go?
    One of my fellow writers gave me the answer.  Very short, very simple. very succinct, just not sweet. She looked at me and asked, "Are you writing Fiction or Non-Fiction?"
    So. That was it. I had to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God.
    Hopefully, Gentle Readers, as you read excerpts from my Work in Progress, you will find that the whole truth also contained many happy moments, many, many funny moments, pride in hard-won accomplishments, and pearls of wisdom scattered here and there.  I have tried to create a comfortable balance between humor and sadness, excitement and boredom, happiness and depression, and learning and growing.  I hope that at the end of each page, you will feel the urge to turn to the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New concept

Well, I just finished the revision of the last chapter of my Memoir, and am ready for Alejandra to put all the finishing touches and Photo N...