Saturday, March 6, 2021

Not what I signed up for...

I have to get this off my mind. I have worked so hard the last two weeks, that I'm suffering from an anxiety complex, and that's not good. That's not what I thought I was getting into when I started writing my Memoirs. I thought it was going to be a lot of fun. Well, it was! When I was writing. But now that I've completed most of the writing, it seems like the fun has gone out of it, and now I have to get down and work. Maron Mundy, the woman who is putting my chapters into manuscript form came to the house last week and wants all the lists of chapters numbered in sequential order, then she will send the entire list to me and I can start revising the chapters to their final perfection. Just one slight problem: I can't put them in order till I re-read them all so I know when they took place, or at least under which SUBJECT to put them, and so many of them are titled "Anecdotes", "Bits and Pieces", "General" and "Untitled 1, 2, and 3". Now that's a doozy, if you want to know what it's about on the list, right? So my first advice today to those of you contemplating Writing, is: For God's sake, LABEL your articles! I've now taken all the PILES of papers (duplicates and ten-tricates of all the articles I ever wrote) {and printed out for the Writers Group to critique} and keep putting them in labeled piles on the bed every morning and stacking them in one pile every evening so I can use the bed for what it was intended. Sleep, although I'm not getting all that much... The Subject titles are under papers labeled Early Years, Teenage, Auburn, State Prison, Marriage,Fritz, Travel, jewelry, studio, Life in Switzerland, Brazil, Puerto Rico, Spain, England, Canada and Tucson. Are you beginning to get the picture? Some of the piles are already two inches high, and I still have two more stacks of FIVE inches to sort out! Trying to make Order out of Chaos is not my thing; I'm better at Creating. Maybe the Covid is finally making a dent in my equillibrium; it's doing it to everyone else -- why not me? So I will sort. And Number. And Revise. and eventually I will make Order out of Chaos. Where have all the flowers gone? Till soon, Janice

2 comments:

  1. Well your audience is excited for it so we are glad you are doing this hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, OK, I just need the occasional push. More sorting today. Gettin' there!

    ReplyDelete

New concept

Well, I just finished the revision of the last chapter of my Memoir, and am ready for Alejandra to put all the finishing touches and Photo N...