Monday, January 8, 2018

7. Adios, Holidays

    Well, the holidays are behind us, and I don't know about you, but I'm coaching myself to "Breathe" again.  It's amazing what a deep, deep breath can do for you.
    The Christmas decorations have been taken off tables and mantels and hearths and sideboard. I'm back to Minimalism again and it feels so good, clean, and organized.  Full disclosure: they're not all wrapped and stored in the Christmas Box yet and no one's allowed to see the garage for another two days.
    This week's presentation to the Writers Group on Friday is a very long dissertation which will form Chapter One in my book.  It is the result of a conversation I had with one of my volunteer drivers who takes me to the meetings every week.  She has also joined the group and is our "stand-up comedian". What can I say? As the mother of triplets, she has a LOT more funny stories than I have!
    I was whining that to start my book of memories with where I was born and when, sounded terribly dull and boring to me, when in reality the exciting part, personally, happened much later in life.  Laura said, "Well, why don't you start there, and then work backwards?" Did I mention she's a genius as well as the mother of triplets?
    So that is what I did. I ended Chapter One with the following paragraph:

    My life began on October 1, 2005. But I was born 78 years earlier in Ithaca, New York, on a cold, snowy Thursday morning, January 13, 1927.
    My mother had written in my baby album a nursery rhyme published in 1873. It was to teach children the days of the week, while forecasting their future:
Monday’s child is fair of face.
Tuesday’s child is full of grace.
Wednesday’s child is full of woe,
Thursday’s child has far to go….1
Come. Join me on the journey.


1Friday’s child is loving and giving,
Saturday’s child works hard for a living.
But the child who is born on the Sabbath Day
is bonny and blithe and good and gay.

    Now, in  the chapters of growing up in Auburn, Syracuse, Dallas, Phoenix, Zurich, Rio de Janeiro, San Juan, PR, Estepona, Spain, London and Hitchin, England, Kelowna, BC, Canada and finally Tucson, I will attempt to entertain you with the stories of My (not so) Perfect Life.
    Stay tuned.

BTW, I have had the settings of my Blog corrected to allow everyone to make Comments without having to sign in. Just write your comments and click on Publish.  I'll look forward to hearing from you. And yes, if you read the above blue words carefully, I do turn 91 next week.  Have mercy!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, I actually offered a helpful comment? How'd that happen? It's hard to keep up with your energy and talent, but you inspire me to keep trying. And you're a ton of fun, to boot.

    ReplyDelete

The notice of my move from Canada to Tucson

But it is timre for me to move on to my next "adventure" and to put another pin in the world map on the wall. In September I hope ...