Thursday, March 15, 2018

A life well lived

This morning I finally finished reading The Aviator's Wife  by Melanie Benjamin. It is a historical novel which is a popular method of writing these days: you take an actual historical fact and then embellish it with your imagination.  Sounds sort of like writing your memoirs, if you'll forgive the quip.

I mention it because as I read the author's development of Anne Morrow Lindbergh's life after marrying the most famous hero of all time, captured from Anne's own diaries and those of Charles Lindbergh, so much of what Anne went through, was identical to parts of my own life.  Mine lacking the importance, of course.  Lucky Lindy made his famous flight to Paris in 1927, the year I was born. He was at the launchpad of Apollo XI when Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin set off to land on the moon, and Lindbergh placed his hand on Armstrong's shoulder and said "I'm proud of you."  Armstrong replied, "We are only following in your footsteps, Sir."

I took copious notes, but am not sure if I'm allowed to make comparisons, because I would have to quote the author.  She expressed my thoughts and feelings so much more captivatingly than I could myself.  Maybe I can just describe the emotions without quoting them, we'll see.

I remember when I read Anne's famous book A Gift from the Sea (was it for a book report in high school?  That long ago?)  I must find out if it is now in Large Print, so I can read the poems again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Long time, no see

Hi, dear Friends, I can't believe I've let so much time go by without giving you some Updates. But I have and it's mea culpa. In...