Sunday, July 1, 2018

The Chapters continue...

I have decided to cut down on my jewelry classes for July and August and limit them to just a personal request from someone who wants to finish a project or make a specific piece which they missed doing when it was originally scheduled.  I will add an occasional piece to my website. That way I can concentrate on my writing, and hopefully get closer to the book publishing by the Fall.

Ruby Lane sent all of its shops an email two weeks ago, stating the the Supreme Court had come down with a decision that as of immediately, all the States must start charging a sales tax on everything sold, instead of playing fair and not charging  a State Sales tax for all out of state purchases.  I have never sold one piece in Arizona and do not participate in craft shows or consignment to a gallery.  I sell only to other states and international customers.  Now I will have to collect an additional charge of 9½% Arizona tax on every piece I sell, even if it is to someone in Australia, who has to also pay customs charges.  Last Friday I signed a petition to revoke this latest ruling which will go to the State Legislature.  What with the latest increase in postage charges, it can now be that the taxes and postage will come to more than the cost of a pair of earrings I make.

So what is the use of trying to run a small business any more?  Especially at my age?  I need the income, and am physically able to do the work, but the ENTIRE PREMISE of why I make jewelry to sell online was to offer nice jewelry to people who couldn't otherwise afford to buy custom pieces.  The fact remains that I'm not rich enough to warrant tax DEcreases.  Mark my words, friends, if this Supreme Court ruling remains in effect, you will see small businesses fall by the wayside all over the United States. When on earth will the government realize that you will increase sales by decreasing taxes, not adding more?  And that when you increase sales, you increase income which results in higher income taxes, which is the only fair way to do business.

So another small business bites the dust.  Who cares?
See you next week.  Janice

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Idea

/while trying to get closer to the Printing phase of my book and being chastised for still trying to add more subjects to the list of Headin...